Cave spiders are neutral mobs that can inflict poisoning.
Cave spiders spawn from monster spawners in abandoned mineshafts.
They drop 0–2 string. They also have a 1⁄3 chance to drop a spider eye if killed by a player. They drop 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Cave spiders inherit most of their behavior from regular spiders:
- Pacified (made neutral) by bright light (daylight or light levels of 9 or higher) but will continue attacking regardless of light change once hostile. Subjecting them to darkness will render them hostile.
- Climb walls when needed.
- Attack by leaping at their targeted entity.
- Unaffected by cobwebs or poison.
- Can fit through a space that is 1 block wide and half a block tall.
- Can go through the spaces between Nether Brick and Normal Fences.
- Run much faster than spiders.
- Can spawn spider jockeys in the bedrock edition.
Unlike regular spiders, they do not spawn with status effects.
When attacked by a cave spider on normal or hard difficulty, the bitten entity is inflicted with Poison I. On normal difficulty, the poison lasts for 7 seconds and can cause up to 4 () damage. On hard difficulty, it lasts for 15 seconds and can cause up to 10 () damage. Note that even on hard, poison damage is not taken when health is at 1 ().
- While a cave spider's hitbox is only 13.9% the volume of a normal spider's, its model's volume is 34.3% as large. The shadow is even larger: compared to the normal spider's shadow it has an area of 49%.